Tuesday, July 15, 2008

OK it's time.

I have had it with people who point fingers when they are confronted with a problem. Mostly it's the politicians I'm really steamed with, but it seems these days everything that happens is someone else's fault. I was raised by parents that demanded you take responsibility for your actions. I raised my sons that way too. I've been married for over 20 years to a great woman that I still love now as much as I did when we married. I go to church. I don't think I'm alone out there in the wasteland frustrated about the "politically correct" responses that define our everyday life now. It just seems that way to me sometimes. So here it is, I started a blog. Me, the guy that lives out in the country and has dirt under his fingernails.

Oil. I'm sick of hearing about it. It's China, it's big oil companies, it's speculators, it's ecology freaks, or pick the flavor of the week to blame prices on. Supply and demand? OK, I understand that because my brother teaches Finance and is married to an economist. But realistically, record profits by big oil last year on top of the record profits the year before are a little hard to swallow. How about calling it what it is...Greed. But hey, they're a business, right? Think about that the next time you fill up and dish out a C note. Wall Street speculators? Yeah, I rank them right up there with the big oil people. Greed. Don't go to Congress and give us all the hocus pocus of how hard it is for you to make billions in profit. Just tell us it's a business. We want all your money, and we figured out you HAVE to fill up your tank to go to work!

And politicians. Oh how I'm coming to hate anyone I ever voted for. Evidently America does too. The latest poll shows only 18% think they're doing a good job. And half of those probably lied or were drunk when asked. Something happens to well meaning people when they get inside the beltway in Washington. They become spineless, greedy idiots. How many earmarks or pork barrel projects can I get? How about for once saying we need to do something for the country? It may not be your state or district, but if it's good for the nation agree with it! I'm off of Democrats AND Republicans (I'm a Republican) and the petty bickering that goes on. I live in northeast Louisiana, not San Francisco or New York or even New Orleans (I escaped!). I have what I consider normal mid American values and beliefs. And it drives me NUTS when I hear ideas shot down because the President or the opposing party had the idea. They always have a better idea. Like the drilling offshore moratorium that was lifted by Bush. The Democrats are against it. Drill on your leases you have now! The oil won't be available for 10 years! Well heck. Clinton was asked to do what Bush did and he used the 10 year thing too. Guess what? That was 10 years ago! Think gas is expensive now? Wait 10 years and see how much it costs to fill up. It's OK for Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas to drill offshore, but not in my back yard! GROW UP! The country needs it.

Somebody needs to step up and tell these politicians to get off their collective butts and quit fighting and get to working. Punch holes in the ground and start getting the oil out. Tell the tree huggers to get some more granola and be glad they can run their air conditioning. And never, ever suggest to me I need a "carbon credit." If you need those, come see me. I'll sell you a ton of them...along with a bridge or two.

I'll try to rant and rave later my blood pressure's up.

No comments: